Mildred Kilby Wellman, 89, of Llanfair Retirement Community in Cincinnati, died peacefully on October 12, 2010, after a short illness. Mildred spent most of her life in Geauga County. Born in Cleveland to Rollie and Clara Kilby on September 18, 1921, Mildred moved to Burton Station as a young child, and she often recounted her many happy memories of life on the farm. Mildred graduated from Burton High School in 1939. She married George Wellman in Claridon in 1942, and as a young couple, George and Mildred enjoyed dancing to big band music. Mildred was devoted to her family and was a wonderful cook and homemaker. She was particularly known for her pie baking, and she generously donated baked goods to many church and community activities. Mildred was also an accomplished seamstress, and she enjoyed crocheting. Following her husbandâ€(TM)s death in 1968, Mildred overcame many adversities to ensure that her daughters would have the advantages she had never had for herself. Mildred worked in the office at R. W. Sidley, Inc. in Thompson until her retirement in 1986. Mildred was a member of the Claridon Congregational Church and later the Burton Congregational Church. She was also active in the Geauga Senior Center in Middlefield and the Geauga Walkers, prior to moving to Cincinnati in 2008.
Mrs. Wellman is survived by her daughters Jane (Jonathan) Kopke of Cincinnati and Susan (Bill) Henson of Chardon; her beloved granddaughter, Emily Henson, of Chardon; and several nieces and nephews. She was proceeded in death by her parents; her husband, George; and her four siblings, Alice Smith, Henry Kilby, Carl Kilby, and Dorothy Olmstead.
A memorial service will be held in Cincinnati at the Chapel of Llanfair Presbyterian Retirement Community, 1701 Llanfair Avenue, College Hill, OH (45224) on October 16, 2010, at 10:30 AM with the Rev. Dr. Erwin Goedicke of North Presbyterian Church officiating. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Geauga County Board of Developmental Disabilities, Adult Enrichment Program, 8200 Cedar Road, Chesterland, Ohio 44026.